RE: I think it's clutch time.....

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: RE: I think it's clutch time.....
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:53:04 -0400
A. B. Bonds wrote:

>>> You ever done a TD?  Generalizations can be dangerous.
>>
>> Nope ... but, I would have expected them to be very similar to the 'A'
>> and 'B' trannys ... assumptions can be dangerous too, eh?
>>
> You would be wrong in your expectation.  A very different
> architecture. The synchro surfaces are swaged and riveted
> into the shifting hubs, so that the shifting hubs must be replaced in
> their entirety.  The parts available these days (at least as of last
> year) do not fit out of the box.  I had to use a considerable amount
> of machinist's blue and  _lot_ of filing to get the hubs onto the
> mainshaft and sliding freely.  Both the inner and outer
> splined surfaces of the first/second gear hub did not fit at
> all.  The whole process took about 20 hours of fiddle and
> fit. I had to put the mainshaft in my lathe to insure
> the concentricity of the hubs.  Not the sort of thing a shadetree
> mechanic has in his hip pocket.

Ouch  ... looks like this shadetree mechanic will be shying away from
'TD' trannys for quite awhile ... ;^)

So ... lesson learned ... I should have stated ... IMHO, if you can rebuild
an 'A' or  'B' engine you can rebuild an 'A' or 'B' tranny ... fair enough?

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkI