RE: SU Needles-identification

To: <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: RE: SU Needles-identification
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 23:08:25 -0400
Scott Gardner wrote:

> Just tore down these SU HIF4 carbs that the PO dropped off.  The
> metering needles are marked "ABD".  My Vicky Brit catalog lists
> that as the correct needle for the '73-'74 models. (Mine's a '72).
> Evidently, the metering needles in my carbs should be AAU.  What's
> the difference, and what's the usual reason for switching needles?

Engine modification ... I'm not sure what modification generated the
needle change between '72 and '73, but the 'Original MGB' indicates
a change in the dizzy between '72 and '73 (North American spec) ...
that would be my guess.

> Is there a noticeable difference between these two needles?

Sizes are taken every 1/8" from the top shoulder .... ABD is slightly
richer at the low end than AAU ....

 ABD     AAU
.0890   .0890   .0000
.0850   .0850   .0000