Re: Inexpensive Brake Upgrade

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>, Jerry Causey <reecau@whidbey.com>
Subject: Re: Inexpensive Brake Upgrade
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 17:38:32 -0600
At 01:55 PM 10/26/97 -0800, Mike Lishego wrote:
>How do those cross-drilled rotors work on typical road cars?  I've always
wondered if
>there would be any major improvement over regular rotors.
>
>As for the brake lines, I'm just now going through the same thing with
hoses.  I was
>told to stay away from the stainless braided hoses, since it is tough to
know when
>they are failing.  I would recommend a new master cylinder, depending on
how long the
>car sat and your brake pedal characteristics.  You also might want to do a
visual
>check of your aluminum brake pipes.  I mean seriously looking these things
over, I
>had two disintegrate under braking pressure on my '74.  Look for thin or
corroded
>spots, since a car with a single-line braking system would be in trouble
if a pipe
>burst!  Good luck, and my only advice would be to avoid skimping on the
braking
>system, if it is financially advisable.

Michael, cross-drilled rotors only help to dissipate heat better.  This
equates
to brakes which fade less after repeated stops.  If you desire brakes which
have more force, then cross-drilled rotors will do nothing for you, unless, of
course, you are losing braking power after the brakes overheat.

Like Michael, I agree that the braking system is no place to skimp on the
bucks.

jay