Re: Inexpensive Brake Upgrade

To: Jerry Causey <reecau@whidbey.com>
Subject: Re: Inexpensive Brake Upgrade
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 13:55:49 -0800
Jerry Causey wrote:
> You can buy them with cooling holes
> cross-drilled in them for a lot of money. They definitely look cool,
>especially
> with wire wheels, but I don't know if they will make a noticeable difference
>on
> the street. Replace the old rubber flex hoses with new teflon-lined, stainless
> braided brake hoses, or just new rubber ones, depending on how deep your
> pockets are.

How do those cross-drilled rotors work on typical road cars?  I've always
wondered if
there would be any major improvement over regular rotors.

As for the brake lines, I'm just now going through the same thing with hoses.
I was
told to stay away from the stainless braided hoses, since it is tough to know
when
they are failing.  I would recommend a new master cylinder, depending on how
long the
car sat and your brake pedal characteristics.  You also might want to do a
visual
check of your aluminum brake pipes.  I mean seriously looking these things
over, I
had two disintegrate under braking pressure on my '74.  Look for thin or
corroded
spots, since a car with a single-line braking system would be in trouble if a
pipe
burst!  Good luck, and my only advice would be to avoid skimping on the braking
system, if it is financially advisable.
--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College