Re: oil filters

To: mgb.roadster@juno.com
Subject: Re: oil filters
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:20:03 EST
Hi Larry,
  Yesterday I changed a Fram filter on my S-10. I looked at the paper
check valve on the new filter. Dry, it looked like gasket paper. Wet and
oily, it looked like rubber. It was firm and fit tight to the case. I
poked a screwdriver into it and found that then it would release a load
of oil down my arm.  Playing with it further, it seemed to me that the
oil that dumps on the ground when you unscrew the filter is the oil in
the inside of the cannister, not the oil that's on the "outside" of the
filter material. Next time I got into a store, I'll take a look and see
how the other filter makers set their up with a checkvalve. In this
application, where the oil enters the filter through the holes around the
outside, passes through the medium, then enters the engine through the
center tube what other sort of check valve do they use?
  How does one determine how "filtered" the oil is?  Is there a guide to
the size of the particles that a given filter will screen out?  Skip
Kelsey mentioned within the last few days that he uses an Amzoil filter.
  BTW, I always pour a little oil into a new filter before installation,
hoping to reduce the time that the running engine is without pressure.
Bob