Re: oil filters

To: mgbob@juno.com
Subject: Re: oil filters
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:35:08 -0700
On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:20:03 EST mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
writes:
>Next time I go into a store,
>I'll take a look and see how the other filter makers set their up with
>a checkvalve. In this application, where the oil enters the filter
>through the holes around the outside, passes through the medium, then
>enters the engine through the center tube what other sort of check
>valve do they use?

Ya know I can't tell you right now.  What I can say is I looked at two
display filters at my local Napa store, they had cut them open to show
how the valve worked.  I walked away with the Napa filter after that.

Maybe the Fram system is effective and cheep, who knows.  It just didn' t
look as good.

Let us know what you find out.

> How does one determine how "filtered" the oil is?  Is there a guide
>to the size of the particles that a given filter will screen out?
>Skip Kelsey mentioned within the last few days that he uses an Amzoil
>filter.

There is a difference in filter media.  When I owned "big trucks" the
various filter manufacturers would give us specifications on what size
particle could pass through the filter material.  It was reported in
microns.  I am not sure smaller is better in every situation however.
Remember the oil has to go through too.

I think this all started because I mentioned I don't buy Fram filters.
That doesn't make them bad, remember they sell a "million" of them.  I
just think there are better filters on the market.

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas