Re: Installing an MGB motor in an MGA

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com
Subject: Re: Installing an MGB motor in an MGA
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 03:30:45 EST
On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:35:02 -0500 larry.g.unger@lmco.com writes:
>Barney Gaylord wrote:
>> You may be able to use the engine rear plate from a 3-main MGB engine
with the MGA 1600 gearbox, just a guess, can anyone else comment on this?

>Nope ... the 3-main 'B' engine plate will not bolt up to the any of the
'A' trannys.

Thanks for the clarification.  I now stand better informed (and the rest
of the list as well).

>*Rumor* has it that the 'B' 5-main block could be machined to accept the
'A'  mechanical tach drive .....

Well, I don't think so.  Seriously considering this point, I recently
looked closely at a 5-main engine.  The block casting does not include
the boss required for the machining, so first you would have to weld on
some additional iron to the block at the appropriate location.

Can anyone tell me I'm wrong on this point?  Has anyone known of a 5-main
engine block with the casting lump in the right place to allow machining
for the mechanical tach drive?  This is not a mute point or a derogatory
question.  I may be interested in doing this sometime if it's possible.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude