RE: Shocks/Suspension questions

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Shocks/Suspension questions
From: Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 97 10:32:48 +0000
Speaking of shocks, I now remember that the right front shock on my BGT
seemed to be damping less than it ought towards the end of the summer.

Much to my surprise, when I took a look at it the cap was not on the top
of the damper body -- as shown in the manuals and parts catalogs -- but
on the side.

So my initial thought of 'just topping it up' to see if that helped was
replaced by a thought of 'will some of the oil drain out of that hole if
I remove the cap?'.

I didn't have time to remove the damper before storage season (although
I did get as far as giving the area a good cleaning).

So, all of you damper experts: must I remove the damper to add oil? Is
this worth bothering about at all, or should I just arrange to install
rebuilt dampers?

Douglas McKinnie (presently residing in Guildford, England)
'72 MGB-GT (presently residing in Bay Village, Ohio)