Anti freeze spraying from engine vent

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Anti freeze spraying from engine vent
From: Peter Landy <plandy@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 01:35:17 -0800
It seems I haven't paid as much attention to details concerning the
purchase of my recently aquired MG.  This is one very abused, much
maligned car which was patched and trashed over 20 years.  I didn't pay
as much attention to details because I knew it will be my restoration
project but I never suspected how bad things ca be like the electricals,
plumbings, attachments and other stuff could be scrambled.  It will be
much like a large jig saw puzzle with odds and ends to be sorted out.
On the positive side it means I will be reading this list religiously
:-)

In spite of all this, believe it or not, the engine does start and the
car actually moves.  After taking the car home, the folowing day I
started the MG, allowed it to idle for a while.  After about 10 minutes
of idling I noticed some sort of liquid spraying from the rubber hose
leading the the vent tube attached to the cover on the side, driver,
engine.  Upon closer inspection I recognized it to be pure anti freeze.
Funny thing is that it didn't seem like there was much oil mixed with
the spray.  According to the Moss catalog the cover has something called
the oil seperator so maybe this is the reason only water is leaving but
not oil?  Any ideas where this antifreeze is leaking from?  The car's
exhaust is relatively clear with no white or bluish haze.  The engine
oil level is at the upper limit with no antifreeze mixed as far as I can
tell.  Peering into the valve train from the oil cap I don't see any
whitish foam build up.  Oh I got a few more questions but for now I'd be
interested in hearing what you might think about this one.

Thanks
Peter Landy
Brooklyn, NY
'74 BGT