Re: Anti freeze spraying from engine vent

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Anti freeze spraying from engine vent
From: Peter Landy <plandy@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 14:58:03 -0800
I am still picking up the ropes finding the correct terminology for
 various,MG, mechanical parts.  Moss's diagram described it as the
"cover".
 But yes you are right it is the tappet cover, thanks for the correction
 here, with vent tube.  The reason the vent tube is not connected to
 the intake manifold because it has Weber's after market manifold with
 downdraft carb. In Weber's scheme of things that the vent hose attaches
 the air filter instead of the manifold.

 Yes I know that anti freeze spraying out of the tappet cover is bad
 news.  I am just wondering just how bad.  Is there anyone out there who
 had this problem?  Should I expect a cracked block?  I do know since
 it's not smoking water through the exhaust, water is not finding it's
 way into the cylinders or the valves. On second thought, it does appear
 that the water is building up in the crankcase because the viscosity of
 the oil appears very thinned with liquid.  Heck, in worst case scenario
 this may be good excuse to do a aluminum V6 conversion.

 Thanks,
 Peter Landy
 Brooklyn, NY
 '74 BGT