RE: Short porting, Idle vs timing.

To: "'Bill Eastman'" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Short porting, Idle vs timing.
From: "Randy Rees (Volt Computer)" <a-rrees@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:25:30 -0800
Bill Eastman wrote>>One area of an engine that it does make sense to polish
is the combustion
chamber.  Careful polishing and removal of sharp edges will reduce an
engine's tendency to ping.  This allows higher CR and better timing with
available gasoline.  I believe that other benefits are claimed but I can't
remember what they were.

That would explain why I have no pinging at all even with regular fuel and a
CR of 9.5:1. As for the polishing of the intake, I've always had good luck
with matching the ports, then polish the intake ports on the head for smooth
flow past the valves and into the cylinder, but leave the intake manifold
alone for turbulence of the fuel/air mixture.

Thanks

Randy Rees