Re: Rings and Valves?

To: js-allen@students.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Rings and Valves?
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 11:08:40 EST
 Oil loss can be mysterious. I'm trying to explain some suddenly
outrageous consuption myself, like 50 miles/quart. It's gotta be a leak
to lose that much, since there is no blue smoke at all, but I haven't
been able to find it--the paper on the garage floor is not any more
spotted than usual....
 Blue smoke, attractive as it may be and helpful for holding down the
mosquito population, indicates that excess oil is getting into the
fuel/air mix.
 You can check for worn rings, sort of, with a compression gauge and a
squirt can of oil. Check your compression figures for each cylinder and
record them. Then squirt a couple of tablespoons of oil into a cylinder
and do the compression test again.  No change=rings were not leaking.
Worn rings can be replaced, but before you do it you would want to make
sure that the wear of the cylinders is within acceptable limits.  If you
remove the head, you may find a ridge right at the top of the cyl, which
is just above where the top piston ring stops its upward travel. That
ridge is the size the cylinder was. Wear also takes place down the
cylinder, as the cyl can wear tapered, and can also wear oval.  There are
acceptable amounts of this before boring is required. Oversize piston
rings are calculated and made to compensate for the larger bore diameter
from re-boring the engine, which is generally done in steps of .010. One
does not indiscriminately use oversize rings without doing some careful
measuring first....
  If the valve guides are leaking, or the seals are worn, excess oil will
flow down the stems and into the cylinders.  One approach is to remove
the rocker shaft assy, then wiggle the valve stems to see if they are
loose in the guides. If they are tight, you may need seals only, and it
is possible to replace them with the head on the engine.
  For the impoverished student, this is a difficult area---trying to do
the right thing without the right amount of money.  Try to soak up all
the advice you can get from your MG friends on this list before you get
the wrenches turning.
Bob