Parts List vs Standard Hardware

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Parts List vs Standard Hardware
From: "Todd L. Crawford" <tlcraw4d@nh.ultranet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:33:31 -0500
Hi everyone,

        I am the recent proud owner of my first LBC.  It's a 1972 MGB.
 Unfortunately it has turned into a real DPO special.  Almost the
entire car has been monkeyed with as only a true DPO is capable of
(actually this guy was a Certified (or certifiable)Master DPO).  You
should see the wiring. What a mess.  This guys idea of a body
restoration was a skim coat of bondo and aluminum tape over rust
perforations and a lousy coat of paint.  After I got home with the
car I found the real status of the body.  Fortunately the guy was
honest enough to give me my money back and told me to keep the car
for my trouble.  I'd say it was worth it even though it was stressful
for a while.  Well I've begun to go through the car and undo the
wrongs that that been imposed on this poor car.  I wanted a car I
could tinker with (I'm a Mechanical Engineer) and this car is
definitely destined to be a challenge.
        I have found a great deal of incorrect hardware holding things in
place (poorly I might add) so I wanted to replace with the correct
hardware.  I now that I can get the right nuts and bolts from the
major catalogs, but for the small stuff I'd just like to go to the
local hardware store and pick up what I need.  To this end, I ordered
the British Leyland parts catalog expecting that it would specify the
nut and bolt sizes.  What I found was a generic description "bolt"
with a factory part number.
Is there any reference out there that will provide the generic
hardware data (length, bolt size ,thread size) either directly or as
a cross-reference to the factory part number?

Thanks for all the help you've given me already as an avid reader of
the list.

Todd Crawford
tlcraw4d@nh.ultranet.com
1972 MGB