Re: New York State/The Promised Land for MGs

To: "David Deutsch" <drded@ix.netcom.com>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: New York State/The Promised Land for MGs
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 97 10:22:14 -0500
>Just dropped the 77 B over at the service station for inspection. While
>Pete (Important rule of MG ownership: be on a first name basis with
>your local service garage workers/owners) was filling out the paper
>work, he said "this is the last time this car will need to be emission
>tested". In fact, as of early 98 (not sure of exact date) all MGs will
>be exempted. OK OK, not just MGs but all cars manufactured prior to
>81'. This is the first I've heard of this and is a great relieve as
>starting next year NY state is testing cars on Dynos that simulate
>different driving conditions, ie: idle, aceleration and deaceleration.
>I'm wondering if my wife's 93 Mazda MPV is going to pass. I just hope
>Pete knows what he is talking about and that this is the whole truth
>and nothing but. I'll let you all know how the car did on the safety
>end of the inspection when I get it back later. Safety Fast, David
>Deutsch

PA just changed the laws to dyno testing as well. Except for cars prior
to '80 and trucks prior to 81 or 82. They just have to pass the old stuff
it up the tail pipe and sniff at idle test. Als any car with less than
5000 miles since the last test is exempt from the dyno test as well. One
more little item. PA bucked the EPA on this one. The EPA says a minimum
of $450 dollars in repairs before an exemption while pa said $150 or we
won't do it at all. The EPA backed down. Now if I can figure out how to
get a carb rebuilt, or replaced. for less $150 ;-) Course I don't need
that on the Midget. I am not sure if there is a provision for total
exemption by year or not. Also this law BS only applies in the Philly and
surrounding counties and in the Pitttsburgh area. The "rural" parts of
the state go on as before.

Larry Macy
78 Midget (next inspection in August 98)