Re: Test drive that wasn't

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Test drive that wasn't
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:33:35 -0500
Mike Lishego wrote:
> The car was bright yellow, with an original Inca yellow paint
> job under that.  The hood must have been replaced because the paint scheme
>went
> white, inca, then yellow, so i guess the car was wrecked.

  This is usually easy to check. Look at the front frame extensions
under the engine (where the rad and anti-roll bar attach).

  If they are wavy, the car has been in a front ender. Actually,
it's usually not hard to spot. Since these cars were never valuable,
it's doubtful anybody spent thousands in underbody work to hide
an accident. The cars are often just pulled straight and bondoed
up, which is easy to spot from underneath.

> If I was closer to home, I'd have to take this little baby off their hands
> for him.

  Well, if the body is really that good, I would think you'd
want to. Especially since in that condition, you are likely
the only local to show interest and might get it for a
song.

> I'm also leery of replacing the brake master and going, since I
> replaced it on my 'B, and rubber hoses just kept on splitting.

  You can change everything in a brake system for not much
more than just the master cylinder, so I wouldn't worry. If
the price of a master cylinder doesn't scare you, new rubber
lines and new metal lines won't. ;>

> Would a bad clutch master cylinder keep the car from shifting
> into reverse?

  With the engine running, yes. Which the engine stopped,
no. You should be able to put the car in reverse without
using the clutch at all.

  (side issue, have you ever put a Midget 1500 in reverse
before? The lift-and-top-right feeling might not feel correct
to you even if it is working. As well, if the shift knob
has been changed you might not even be looking for reverse
in the right spot! It's lift and top right. ;> )

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada