Re: Test drive that wasn't

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Test drive that wasn't
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 18:48:13 -0800
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Mike Lishego wrote: > > If I was closer to home, I'd have to take this little
>baby off their hands
> > for him.
>
>   Well, if the body is really that good, I would think you'd
> want to. Especially since in that condition, you are likely
> the only local to show interest and might get it for a
> song.

I wish I could get this car, but I'm at college right now, about 10 hours from
home.
 Yes, I do have a truck, and I could tow it back to PA with a tow dollie, but
my
parents might disown me.  They weren't too happy when I brought the first MG
home,
and they seemed increasingly miffed as each one rolled in, as parts or
otherwise.
Methinks death becomes the poor fool who suggests another MG to Mom.

> > I'm also leery of replacing the brake master and going, since I
> > replaced it on my 'B, and rubber hoses just kept on splitting.
>
>   You can change everything in a brake system for not much
> more than just the master cylinder, so I wouldn't worry. If
> the price of a master cylinder doesn't scare you, new rubber
> lines and new metal lines won't. ;>

I had gone thru this recently with my 'B.  First, it was a metal line to
explode.
Then the master cylinder went.  With a new master cylinder, I increased
pressure thru
the lines, splitting a rubber hose.  Now, I have new rubber hoses waiting to
install,
and I'm hoping that caliper or wheel cylinders don't give up next.  Of course,
if
they do, I'll _never_ worry about my brakes failing.  8-)

> > Would a bad clutch master cylinder keep the car from shifting
> > into reverse?
>
>   With the engine running, yes. Which the engine stopped,
> no. You should be able to put the car in reverse without
> using the clutch at all.
>
>   (side issue, have you ever put a Midget 1500 in reverse
> before? The lift-and-top-right feeling might not feel correct
> to you even if it is working. As well, if the shift knob
> has been changed you might not even be looking for reverse
> in the right spot! It's lift and top right. ;> )

Geeez Trevor, didn't I say this car was cherry!  8-)  Just kidding, but it does
have
the original shift knob, and the car did go into gear without a fight.  Of
course,
the engine wasn't running.  But, the bottom line is that as a poor student who
relies
on his parents to pay some of the college bills, I'm not solvent enough to pull
the
car to PA _and_ buy it!  If it was closer, I wouldn't think twice about buying
the
puppy and towing her home...But, if they let it go for a cheap sum, I might be
able
to afford it...Hmmm...Probably not.  Anyway, if anyone near the Sandhills area
of NC
is interested in a good Midget, let me know and I will lead you to the promised
land!

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College