radio wiring

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: radio wiring
From: Charlie Frazer <cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:41:17 -0800
        I have a 1980 LE I bought  this summer, and have just gotten
around to doing some work on it.  The PO had powered the radio in an
unconventional manner with a wire running  through a hole drilled in the
firewall to the starter.
        Having pulled the console, I see why.  The normal radio power
source (white wire with green tracer) is damaged.   The wire itself does
not appear to be burned but it does appear to have been pinched in
several places and the plastic insulation has been scraped away and/or
melted in several spots for the length on 1/4" to 3/8".  Since only
about 4" - 5" of this wire protrudes from the harness, there's not much
undamaged wire to work with.
        Is it possible remedy this situation with something more
permanent than wrapping with electrical tape?  (In other words,
reinsulate the wire?)
        I'd like to replace the POs set-up becuase it appears unsafe,
and is also inconvenient in that it's not switched.
        Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Charlie Frazer
cfrazer@oregon.uoregon.edu