Re: MGA in garage for the winter

To: gaughan@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: MGA in garage for the winter
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:25:07 +0000
gaughan@mediaone.net wrote:

> I kind of took my '61 MGA 1600 off the road for the winter.  I live
> outside of Boston and I won't be driving it, but I have it my garage
> (everday car has to suffer outside) and I want to work on it over the
> winter.
>
> What should I do so that it doesn't suffer.  I.e., run it for twenty or
> so minutes periodically?  Move it back and forth a few feet?
>
> Thanks, Bob Gaughan

My B roadster is always ready for a run, but if the weather keeps it in
the garage I run it for 20 minutes or so once a month, hood up,
windows down, heater on, doors (garage and car) closed with the exhaust
piped outside.  Gets the (non-hermetically sealed) garage nice and warm,
hopefully vapourising any condensation.  At this time I also jack up and
rotate each wheel 1/4 turn.  One year I didn't do this and on the first
run of spring the tyres felt square, at certain speeds you could feel
the car going up and down.  Though I would have to replace them but they
seemed OK after a few runs.

PaulH.