Re: 3000 mile MGB trips

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 3000 mile MGB trips
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:03:30 -0800
From: "J. Neil Doane" <root@yeah.indstate.edu>
Subject: Re: Exercize

I drove my '75/'6x MGB ('75 'B wearing '60s Sebring clothes) from Little
Rock to San Diego (1600 miles) in Sept '96.  Earlier that year I
co-drove
a '62 Austin Mini (with 1275 engine) on a 1000 miles-in-24-hours rally.
Both cars behaved beautifully.  (Well, the Mini did float a valve after
a 100 MPH run _up-hill_ in the Ozarks...)

My MGB:

suspension, etc:

Hopkinson sway bar kit, new front suspension, rotors, rebuilt
brake master, rebuilt clutch master/slave, new clutch, new rear springs
new turn signal switch, new speedo cable

Engine:

9.5:1 compression, 289 degree cam (with .408 lift @ valve) oil cooler
DCOE sidedraught, dual row timing chain with adjustable sprokect
100k + on the block, 20k+ on the bores with new (.020) rings, long
center branch header, monza exhaust, Aldon modded dizzy, lucas
sports coil, bumblebee ignition wires, wonderful stage II head
I got from England for $500

Stuff that's been on the car since it was put on in Abingdon, Dec 1975:
gearbox, rear axle, rear shocks (one has finally started to leak),
starter motor,
steering rack

Emergency items I carry with me:
flourescent wire tie-wraps (bright colored so you can find 'em after you
"fix" something), electrical tape, assorted bulbs and fittings

ignition parts (rotor, cap, plugs, etc)

3/8" drive ratchet with spark plug, 7/16", 1/2", and 9/16" sockets

1/4" drive rachet with sockets

wrenches in the above sizes (plus a 3/8")

radiator hoses, fan belt, oil, castrol DOT 4 brake fluid

Since I've been in Diego, this 'B has been my daily driver, and
through a couple of autocrosses.  I did have a headgasket failure,
one of those copper competition types, burned between 1 and 2.  Maybe
I crimped it when I put it on.  I dunno.

I drove this car round trip from Diego to Laguna Seca raceway the last
weekend of October.  I had no problems other than my friend's SO who
was driving a Boxster, and considered Highway 1 a "quiet drive".  Arg.
We get to seca and he says "I hope I wasn't going too fast".  Too slow
is
more like it.  We got passed by some dude in an SCCA type Neon.  How
insulting.
At least I got to lead on the way back.

Anyways, it seems to me that the guys who talk about the unreliability
of
LBCs are also the guys who drive them twice a year or something.  The
worst
thing you can do to a car is let it sit.  My 'B is driven daily, and
*driven*
at that.  I don't know how many old MG mechanics I've had tell me "yep,
one
thing about a British sports car:  ya gotta drive it like it's a sports
car, or it'll give you trouble."  Sitting around corrodes the wiring
connections.
When my car sat the first time I rebuilt the engine, I had more
electrical
demons to deal with than before I pulled the engine.  Same has been true
however with my only Japanese car, our Spec RX-7.

Putzing around on the street builds up carbon in the combustion
chambers.
I routinely shift my 'B at 4000+.  Pistons looked nice when I pulled the
head 8 months ago.

There are a couple of tricks I guess to 'B longevity:  Make certain the
fore'n'aft stabilizer bar on the engine is tight, and/or use spacers on
the radiator.  During one weekend jaunt (~400 miles) through rural
Arkansas
(including some gorgeous dirt roads--how many would take their 'Bs
there?)
I popped a radiator after crossing a low water bridge---there was enough
of a jump between the roadway and the concrete that the car was jostled
bit, and the engine fan pinholed the radiator.  A couple of those
radiator
spacers and a few turns on a half-inch wrench fixed that problem.

Expensive, but the aircraft grade head studs are beneficial.

Other than that, good filters, hoses, and fluids, and drive the thing.

-Keith Wheeler, Team Sanctuary

mine:
'64, '68 MGBs (well, I got the '64 for my mum)
'75 MGB Sebring (daily driver, autocross car,
                 awaiting transplant of 3.9 litre
                 Rover V-8)
'60 Bugeye
'77 TR-7 (hoping I'll luck in to another EFI 3.9 V-8)
'68 Renault R-10 (it's just a car)
'82 Mazda RX-7 (spec racer)

the team's:
'72 Spitfire
'75 MGB
'79 Midget
'8? FIAT X1/9 (autocrosser)
'82 Jaguar XJ-6
'59 Jaguar MKI 3.4 litre
'74 Dodge Dart, go anywhere, do anything, hauls brit parts and
                doesn't complain

ps:  always looking for alloy wheels for MGBs!  Anyone with a set of
     revolutions they'd be willing to sell?

Also, the team is looking for an MGB-GT, runner, no rust, cosmetics
not an issue, SCCA approved roll-cage a nice option...  :)

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Tom Buchanan wrote:

> A little exercize for you listers. If you were going to take a 3000 mile
> trip in your MGB, what parts would you take with you???
> Tom Buchanan

to which Neil Doane responds: