Re: MGB Dashboard lights

To: arm@unix.infoserve.net
Subject: Re: MGB Dashboard lights
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 20:49:41 EST
Hi Ross,
  Thanks for your thoughts on this.  After I sent my question about the
voltage stabiliser, I came across a "Tech American-your electronics
resource" catalog.  They have two pages full of Zener Voltage Regulator
Diodes, and a page of Micropower Low Drop Out Voltage Regulators.  Looks
great, even has color pictures.
  Alas, I have not an idea of what it is I'm looking at. There are some
VONOM ratings of 12-125 and IO Max 700 and IqTYP15. Given all these and
an afternoon, I could make up a great spaghetti sauce with just a few
tomatoes but, electronically, I'm lost.  If these pages faxed to you
would be of interest, send me a fax #.   You were certainly right about
low prices---nothing on these three pages costs more than $2.65 US.
  BTW, I R&Rd the tach and speedo in the TD last weekend and refreshed
the paint inside the cases.  Lights are now as bright as they were 45
years ago, and that's with the 12V bulbs, some of which are probably
original.
  Are you thinking about taking the TC to the GOF in Plymouth, June '98?
Bob

>Hi Bob,
>
>I don't have any reference material at hand right now but I don't know
>if a>zener is available for exactly 10 volts.  Besides, as I understand
it
>the>voltage stabiliser is supposed to provide a constant known voltage
>prevent instrument readings from varying with system voltage / load.
>A>solid state voltage regulator is perfect for this.  I haven't played
>around>with one  in this application but it certainly bares looking
into.
>They can>be had for just a couple bucks, come in a wide range of fixed
output
>voltages and adjustable models are available.  I'm going to look into
>this>as soon as I get a spare minute to pour over my wiring diagram.
>>As far as the life of the lamps goes, well I didn't do any
>calculations>specificly for lamp life. ( thats a pretty hit-or-miss kind
of thing
>and>would only give an approximation based on the average lamp)
However,
>if one>were to run the 7.5 volt lamps at full system voltage (14VDC)
they'd