Re: wire wheel cleaning

To: ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: wire wheel cleaning
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:08:18 -0500 (EST)
Art,

I am not sure just what the Turtle Wax product is made with, but it could be
a rather strong acid (maybe hydrofloric). If this is the case (check the
label), be sure to rinse with a high pH alkaline cleaner to neutralize the
residual acid. Just rising with water is not good enough (the pH of acids
stay quite low even when dilute with lots of water).

Although chrome really shines when hit with acid, the acid can be very
determental over time. I also have a set of chome wires (replaced originals
via Moss about four years ago). They came with a warning about using acid
cleaners. The thing I'd be most worried about would be the spoke nipple areas
where the solution would get between the parts and lay there and corrode
everything to the point where you'll never be able to adjust a spoke.

These acid cleaners are quite effective (although rather dangerous to the
user) for stainless steel wheel covers with non moving parts. Our wheels with
real, functional spokes are another matter.

I say all of this because I work for a company that makes professional car
cleaning  and reconditioning chemicals used throughout the world. Our
Training Center here in Dallas spends several minutes during the first day
teaching how to safely handle our own acid wheel cleaner, safe for the user
and the wheels, including a pH dilution demonstration using just water.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget