Re: Engine Weight

To: rread <rread@vlint.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Weight
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:09:10 -0500 (EST)
                First I would recommend an engine hoist be rented but
since I never follow my own advice I'll tell you what I use. Get two 2x8's
one about 8 feet long and the other long enough to attach to something on
the roof, this can be a rafter or a joist. Also get a hefty steel pipe
1 1/2 or 2".Junk yards are the best place to go. Next lay the 2x8's
together and cut a hole large enough for the pipe to go through about 1
foot from the top. Nail one of the boards to the side of garage . Place
the other 2x8 about 5 feet away and secure it to the joist or rafter. Then
brace this one to the back wall so it can't move. What you will end up
with will be a large pipe held up with the 2 2x8's. Since the 2x8's will
transfer the weight to the concrete floor you won't risk pulling your roof
down. If you have a 1 car garage you can nail the 2x8's to each side of
the door opening and wedge another one in at the top to prevent
the boards from moving.An engine leveler really helps, Parts America or
Harbor Freight both have them
...Art