Hearing loss prevented

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hearing loss prevented
From: Simon Bosworth <simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:15:31 -0600
Hello all,
this weekend I finally had to do something about the muffler on my 74
BGT.  Every time I hit about 2500 RPM a God-awful resonance would start
up that almost deafened me.  On Saturday I decided to brave the cold
garage floor and have at look at what was going on.  I discovered that
the tail pipe was loose where it exited the forward muffler.  I decided
to try and weld it up rather than wait to get a new muffler.  I dragged
out my trusty oxy-acetylene torch and started to weld and...look ma, no
gas :(  Hastily jump in Wife's car and off to the welding supply place;
get there with about 15 minutes to spare.  Back home again and under the
car.  It is great fun lying on your back on an ice cold floor waving a
torch around and hoping you don't burn through the fuel line or
something else inconvenient like that, (my own body parts for
instance).
Anyway I finally mangaged to get the tail pipe reattached to the muffler
with the world's ugliest welds.  It seems to do the trick though.  Now
the car is just normally loud.  Have to get some carpets and sound
deadening one of these days.

Cheers,
Simon

--