Re: Electric <-> Points

To: boballen@sky.net, bruset@monmouth.com
Subject: Re: Electric <-> Points
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:23:44 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-11-29 21:01:26 EST, boballen@sky.net writes:

> I'm sure the computer literate will check in that only a dorf would go
>  back to points-type ignition. I've only had a couple of cars dump me at
>  the side of the road such that they needed a tow. Both were electronic
>  ignition cars and both were over $300 to change the black box. I've
>  never had a lick of trouble with the Mallory in the C/GT. If the stilly
>  Triumph didn't have a mechanical tach drive off the dizzy it would have
>  a Mallory, too.

FWIW, I carry the complete "innards" from a spare dizzy in my tool kit. If
the Crane/Allison ever fails, out it goes and in goes the points, and I'm
back on the road. Electronics are nice, but the simple reliability of the old
points is hard to beat!

Also FWIW, between Autometer and VDO, You can get a complete set of matching
gauges, including an electronic tach, that will fit your dash without
modification. They will seriously modify the thickness of your wallet,
though!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74