Re: Why an MG?

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Why an MG?
From: pat bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 20:29:52 -0800
>   Comparing dollars today with dollars some years ago is comparing apples
> and oranges.
> Rick Morrison

Oh I disagree! If you are an average working person figure out how many
hours you had to work back then for a new car and how many you have to
work now and you aren't comparing apples and oranges.I bought a brand
new Fiat 124 coupe in 1970 for $3100 which was about a third of my
yearly gross Today an equivalent car would be around 25 to 30 grand
which is over half of my gross and I am paying a hell of a lot more in
taxes etc so the disparity is even more.I look at what things cost by
how long do I have to work for it.In '67 I bought a 62 Corvair used for
$400 over a months pay Today I could get a nice MGB for less than a
months pay probably 2 to 3 weeks pay So new cars are more expensive and
used cars are cheaper accounting for inflation( actually  DEFLATION of
the dollars worth)
Just my .25 worth...used to be .02 worth.

Pat