Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: madamson@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 00:04:30 -0500 (EST)

> ohn McEwen wrote
>

>  All is not lost however, as one of our fellow listees has just announced
>  that he has acquired a Renault Dauphine.  These cars make TR7 durability
>  and reliability look positively wonderful.  The very worst car I ever
owned
>  was a Renault Caravelle.>
>
>  Ah the Renault in all its iterations!  What a car for the Canadian Winter.

>  A friend of mine had a Caravelle which looked like a sporty beast.  Once
in
>  pulling up to the Art College he overestimated the stopping power of the
>  brakes and a tree had to help zero the momentum.  The denouement was
>  sliding stop to the curb at the same place.  Masterfully done but before
he
>  could get out the car broke in half!  There was a box beam under the front
>  seats that just loved to collect salt.

I bought a Caravelle in college. When I took the removable hardtop off, the
thing sagged like a sway-back horse. Good thing I only paid $50 for it.

>  The Renault R10 was a car that attracted a certain type of driver.  I'll
>  never forget the one I saw in Montreal.  Both bumpers were removed and
>  replaced by 2x10's which matched those bolted to the sides of the car.
>
>  My only strong memory of the Rover 2000 was the dash.  Exposure to the
>  atmosphere would create a chalky white finish on the black plastic.  How
>  did the British do it!  Regular applications of baby oil would keep it
>  black.
>
>  A fresh shipment of TR 7's on a dealer's lot attracted my attention.  A
>  closer inspection revealed all the head liners had fallen away, some
>  completely and others only half way.

Detroit has had it's problems too. My 82 Buick Skylark was a disaster.
After a few years all the interior disintegrated! The headliner and the
visors
were just hanging in tatters. The vinyl crumbled into dust. The paint
cracked and fell off. I figured it was an environmental feature, a
biodegradable
car!

>  Thank you for reviving the memories!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336