Re: Chrysler bailout/ was Re: TR7 - Good or Bad?

To: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: Chrysler bailout/ was Re: TR7 - Good or Bad?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 08:44:25 -0600
> >That's where I might have to differ on this argument.  Didn't Chrysler almost
> >disappear in the late eighties/early ninties?  I remember hearing rumours
>about
> their
> >demise, but no talk of what would be done.  Thankfully, they pulled
>themselves
> up by
> >the bootstraps and built the new Ram trucks.  If I'm wrong, please correct
>me,
> this
> >is only what I had heard at the time.
>
> Mr. Lee went to Congress hat in hand and received a massive loan for
> Chrysler. To that august body's credit, Congress didn't really try to run
> Chrysler. And to Mr. Lee's credit, Chrysler paid the loan off early.

It wasn't the Ram truck that saved Chrysler. It was that lousy 'K' car platform
that they designed once and then modified for many years to bring you so many
ugly
Chrysler sedans in the late 80's. Once the 'K' car pulled the company away from
bankruptcy, it was the mini van Chrysler 'invented' for the American market that
really poured cash into the till. After that, things like the Viper and the Ram
truck became possible.

Now, as in the late 60's and early 70's, Chrysler has the freshest and most
original car designs on the road compared to other American and Japanese
manufacturers.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"A chicken is an egg's way of producing more eggs."