HS-4 Carb variations

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: HS-4 Carb variations
From: BDurgin1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 17:48:34 -0500 (EST)
Hi all,

Purchased a new set of HS-4 carbs for my 64 B at the Pasadena Swap Meet a
couple of weeks ago.  The price was $150 for the pair including the chrome
dashpot covers, although I 'm not sure I want the chrome under the hood, etc.

Anyway, my original SU's are the AUD 52 units and the new ones are the last
variation, the AUD 465.  Anyway, got the parts to make the changeover but had
a couple of questions that I would like to pose to the group:

1. The 465's were used on the 71 B's according to what I've found and used
the later style needles, ie biased.  They don't need centering, etc.  Anybody
used these on an earlier car?  It looks like a better setup than the old
straight needle on the original carbs...any comments?

2. My crankcase breather is currently hooked to the Cooper filters that were
originally fitted to the car.  The 465's have an inlet fitting that would
allow me to run the breather hose back to the carb bodies and then maybe add
something like a K & N setup.  Any body got an opinion on this?  Should I
just cap off teh carb inlets and continue to run the breather tube back to
the front filter?

Please let me know what you would do...I got a good price on the carbs, I
felt, even if they do require some modifications...I'm especially interested
in the difference between the needle setups and any experiences with those.

Thanks in advance

Bruce Durgin
64 B