Re: HS-4 Carb variations

To: BDurgin1@aol.com
Subject: Re: HS-4 Carb variations
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 16:03:19 -0600
Okay, I'll assume that you forwarded this thing 'cause all the smart
folks are ignoring you. So you'll have to deal with my bias.

> Purchased a new set of HS-4 carbs for my 64 B at the Pasadena Swap Meet a
> couple of weeks ago.  The price was $150 for the pair including the chrome
> dashpot covers, although I 'm not sure I want the chrome under the hood, etc.

$150 seems like a good price. I ass*u*me 'new' means new to you! Do they
need rebuilt? Throttle shafts okay?

> 1. The 465's were used on the 71 B's according to what I've found and used
> the later style needles, ie biased.  They don't need centering, etc.

I've only had experience with the spring-loaded needles that don't need
biasing. All of my experience has been positive. Never any wear on the
throttle jet.

> 2. My crankcase breather is currently hooked to the Cooper filters that were
> originally fitted to the car.  The 465's have an inlet fitting that would
> allow me to run the breather hose back to the carb bodies and then maybe add
> something like a K & N setup.

I beleive you are speaking of the two ports at the top of the carb
casting, below the damper casting. The ports point back towards the
motor and up at a 45 degree angle. Yes, that is a fine place for the
crankcase vent. Did you get the little 'Y' connector that mates the
little hoses to the carbs from the main vent hose?

I was fiddling with a 1275 Midget and blocked off the carb vents and ran
the hose to the air cleaners. I did some pretty nice work, too, and I'm
proud to say it didn't make one lick of difference how the car ran.

> Please let me know what you would do...

I'd use them.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 69CGT, 75TR6, and this old Elva