Re: Why an MG/Now Speed Limits?

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: Why an MG/Now Speed Limits?
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 12:38:13 -0600
On Thu, 4 Dec 97 09:05:17 -0500 Larry Macy
<macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu> writes:
>>Philip, there is now no Federal speed limit, each state has their own
>>limit.  The Western States generally have the higher speeds while the
>>Eastern States have the slower limits.  Here in Colorado the maximum
>>limit is 75, and I understand Montana has no limit.
>>
>Almost correct Montana has no DAYTIME Limit. At night I belive it's 70
>or
>75. One of the current residents of that area could probably clear
>that
>up. And remember these are all limits on Interstates away from large
>population centers. I'm not sure about the state routes.

To be precise, there is no official Federal speed limit.  Limits are set
by the legislatures in each state.  However, the Federal government
"suggests" the states set certain maximums.  If the state does not follow
the Federal government's suggestions, then they lose access to Federal
highway funds.  Montana got around this originally by only issuing $5
tickets to speeders exceeding the Federally mandated (oops!, "suggested")
limits.  Current Montana law restricts speeds to "safe and prudent speeds
for the conditions."  You CAN get a serious ticket for speeding in
Montana, if the trooper involved thinks you are going too fast for
conditions.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX