Re: MGB Rotissarie

To: "charlie schellinck" <charlie@mars.ark.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB Rotissarie
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 16:08:25 -0800
Hmm you slip in here from the Triumph list? What's with wanting to barbecue
your MG eh? Heathen!!!!

The following is derived from a web page aI say with a rotisserie for a
spridget.  I hope this helps.

To the front and rear bumber brackets he boltes a 2x8, with a hole drilled
deac center.  He used beams running from the celing joists to the floor
with a hole drilled through them, then jacked the body shell up high enough
to run a large bolt through the hole in the 2x8 and the beam.

since the weight of the body will be transfred down the beam to the floor,
there wont be much of a downward pull on the ceiling joist, but there are
going to be torsional stresses on the joist, especially as you rotate the
body shell.

Pesonally, if I were going to do this I'd buld a frame that rested on the
floor, and brace it heavily. I think if you made it with a triagular truss
out of 4x4's you'd get more than adequate support and stability.  I dealy
you'd want additional support on the inside too, but I think that might
intefere with rotating the car., perhaps a sturdy bit of angle iron would
be sufficient.

Front view:      Side View:
    /|\                /| Car body goes here |\
   / | \              / |                    | \
__/__|__\__      ____/__|____________________|__\_____

Top View:
     |----------------------------|
     |                            |
-----|----------------------------|------
     |                            |
     |----------------------------|

Remember that these jigs are only designed to turn the body shell, the full
weight of the car would likely be too much for it, so you'd have to strip
the engine, drive train and suspension components first.

Greg

At 12:20 AM 12/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>How do you make an rotisseraire for an MGB I could use one of those!
>Adam Schellinck
>1973 BRG MGB Roadster in 1 millon pieces and counting computer finaly up
>after 2 weeks!

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
 I have spread my dreams under your feet;
 Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
                                  Yeats