Which side up (head gasket)???

To: List MGB <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Which side up (head gasket)???
From: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:33:08 -0600 (CST)
Hello all,
        I'm getting ready to put my MGB's cylinder head back on after a
'minor' rebuild job, but I'm looking at the new head gasket with just a
bit of confusion, to be quite honest.  The old, I think, had fiber on both
sides of a metal template.  This new one has fiber on one side and
bare metal on the other.  Does it make any difference which side goes up?
        I had the head honed/ground flat, but not the top of the block
(which is still installed in the car).  Here's what I was thinking, since
the head is 'perfectly' flat now, I figure it would be best to mate it
with the bare metal side, putting the fiber down on the block, since it's
probably not so perfect as the head (I'm not going to have it honed at
this point, please bite your tongue if you want to say "you may as well do
it right...., etc.," as I'm out of funds and without transportation, it's
going back on there flat or not).  But, I also assume there's a right and
a wrong way to put the darn gasket on, so I'd just as soon not put it on
wrong if it's going to cause something BAD to happen to my little
motorcoach.
        Factual knowledge, logical wisdom, empirical experience, good
guesses, or bituminous flames appreciated, in that order!

                                                -Scott Allen
                                                js-allen@students.uiuc.edu

        "At dawn we will face the greatest test of our resolve.  But I
say this: though starving, hunger will not weaken us; though diseased,
illness will not cripple us, and though weary, exhaustion will not claim
us.  We can fight knowing that all true Reiklanders will forevermore
honour our valiant gesture of defiance, even though our bodies be left to
feed the beasts of carrion.

        Mind you...we could always surrender."  -Rick Priestly's Siege