El Nino

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: El Nino
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 16:42:58 -0500
Hello fellow SOLers:

I just have to mention again that our weather here in the Great White North
is unbelievable.  First of all, its not white.  Second, its warm.

Yesterday saw a new record high temperature of 9.2 C (49 F).  This broke a
record set in 1952.  Today is even more unbelievable as the temperature
reached what may be a record for all of December.  It was 14 C today (57 F)
People are out in sandals and T-shirts.  I could be driving top down if I
hadn't stored my MG in October.  Gee, I wonder if this is global warming.
And they want us to do something to prevent it?

Last year at this time the high was around minus 30 with 35cm of permanent
snow and more falling.  Sorry to rub it in for those of you who have
experienced some winter already.  Merry Christmas or as the song goes here
in Edmonton, "I'm dreaming of a green (or brown) Chrismas. One like I've
never seen before".

John McEwen