plugs, cold weather, RPM, etc

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: plugs, cold weather, RPM, etc
From: "bill and penny meyer" <pplusb@northlink.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 20:41:00 -0700
Took Penny's GT to Phoenix for our MG club annual Christmas party.
She's been driving it to and from work, a tad over four miles, at
morning temps in the mid teens F.  She drives it a bit conservatively
compared to me.
Had bad trouble on the way down (4300 ft/ 90m mi down).  It ran a bit
rough at first, but improved slightly after a while.  Unfortunately,
not enough!  On strong uphill pulls at 70 -80 mph it began
backfiring.  Checked it out at a rest stop - #2 was not firing, but
as I didn't have a plug wrench I could do nothing.
At the MG party, we of course found a few tools.  With a plug wrench from
one chap and a nail file from one lady, I managed to clean #2 plug,
which was simply gross.  For safety"s sake, I swapped it with #1,
which looked exactly like the "good" picture in the Haynes manual.
Ran like a dream all the way back up the hill!
My point is that this has never happened with my roadster.  The
difference is that I wrap the roadster up to 4-5k rpm in first and
second gears after the first two miles of my commute, which is
slightly shorter than hers.
Bill