Re: Car names. Was: Re: Antw: Vacation

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, byers@cconnect.net ("Steve Byers"),
Subject: Re: Car names. Was: Re: Antw: Vacation
From: hert@worldaccess.nl
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 97 11:37:07 GMT
Aan 16-12-97 4:01, in bericht <19971216030044468.AAA82@default>, "Steve Byers"
<byers@cconnect.net> schreef:
> Vectra, Achieva, Calibra, Sentra, Tercel....
> Does anyone else find these names --  that mean absolutely nothing in any
> known language, but sound like they do -- annoying?

Yes, they are meant not to disturb anyone, be safe and flat. Fiat has a Croma
here (even
though that is the name of a familiar brand of baking butter) and Renault's
Clio had an obvious
nickname quickly. It's very hard to find a name that's unoffensive all over the
world. But what
can you do? The nice animals have been used up (Ford Skunk?), numbers are
impersonal
(E200), VW has passed almost all its winds.

At least MG has some letters left, especially because the letters are always
preceded by the
brand name. That also lessens the risk of conflicts with other manufacturers,
like Mercedes.
The MGS would not be confused with the S-class. MGS? At the rate we're going
that would
appear in the year 2180. A driving solar panel with retro styling? The MGM will
be skipped.

Perhaps someone on the list can jog my memory: some japanese car maker tried to
introduce
a model in a Spanish speaking country. Locally the name sounded like 'bugger
me'.

Peter den Hertog