Re: The Encyclopedia of Classic Cars - Review (Long)

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Subject: Re: The Encyclopedia of Classic Cars - Review (Long)
From: hert@worldaccess.nl
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 97 09:18:06 GMT
Aan 15-12-97 16:53, in bericht <v01540b00b0bafc3d75fe@[129.128.237.27]>, John
McEwen
<mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> schreef:

> Your response beautifully illustrates the ignorance which prevails in the UK.
a) I indeed tried to explain the reasons why US cars never caught on. You got
the point, but do
not understand how you got it.
b) nl is not UK, close enough though

> Compact cars in the US - which would be deemed large cars in Britain -
> burnt no more fuel than comparable LBCs.  To say otherwise is to perpetuate
> the myth.
Apples and pears.

<snipped bits of handling and styling, incorrigible>

> As to your intimate knowledge of the transportation propensities of pimps,
> I am afraid that you have the better of me, as I don't move in that
> particular society.
Welcome to the real world, you'd better decontaminate your screen after reading
this. I
suppose you close your eyes when you are on the streets. To safely widen your
view of the
world, take a look at a rerun of Starsky and Hutch, and look for Huggy Bear and
his wheels.

Seriously now: the US car industry does not do much to improve the views of
their products.
Most brands are not imported officially in the EC and the only mid-market
attempt by Chrysler
was the Neon, which confirmed the image (yes: image): terrible handling, bad
fuel economy,
ugly as hell etc. Perhaps 20 were sold here and resale prices are the lowest,
if you can find
anyone willing to take it. Apart from Chrysler, Ford and GM have their own
lines and brands
here, do not want to compete against themselves, and understand the general
dislike of the
buyers of US boats. The market is always right, even if perceptions are based
on myths.
Again: the US car industry does nothing to change this. The Japanese have
managed to turn
the image of their cars from cheap copies into quality items in less than 25
years, and maintain
a good share of the market even at higher prices due to the yen. Now that's
clever.

These discussions give me a warm feeling, it must be the season. Now where did
I leave the
MG bit? Mine's in the garage, it's just below zero here. Brrr....

Cheers,

Peter