Party Online - a Curmudgeonly view of chat

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Party Online - a Curmudgeonly view of chat
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 07:16:35 -0800
Can someone explain to me the allure of chat rooms?  An MG friend sent
me the address of a chat room he set up, and in the ten or fifteen times
I logged on, there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of substance being
communicated!  Just "Hi there", "Gotta go now", and inane filler in
between.  Now we are talking about some sort of MG chat party where
everyone wishes everyone else a Merry Christmas.

I know there must be some sort of "wow factor" for the computer
enthusiasts out there, that indulge in chat because it's a new
technology.  I got swept up in that back in high school with CB radios,
guys spending all their part time job money on linear amps and co-phased
antennas for their cars, just so they could make rude noises to each
other over the airwaves. In the end I sold all my gear (which wasn't
much) and went away to college.

What do you think the chances are of finding the wonderfully detailed
treatises of Bill Eastman or Rick Feibusch on a chat line?  Or the
excellent "X-Files Xmas" of Tom Buchanan?  Not much.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the secret allure of chat?  'Cause
at the moment, I just don't get it.

Cheers,
Paul Kile
Resident Curmudgeon