another problem and story :P

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: another problem and story :P
From: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:48:35 -0600 (CST)
Ok...With my fuel/rust problem, I've decided to take the tank off, and get
as much rust out as possible.  I will also place a glass fuel filter on the
line that runs into the front carb.  It will have to be glass because of the
problems I might encounter with vapor lock.  I will place it as far away
from the manifold as possible in case of leaks, and I will buy
plenty-o-filter elements to replace as the rest of the rust comes through.

I will probably stick with the hanging oil filter, but I'll have to take it
off anyway, and probably replace the seal between the engine and the
adapter.  Fun fun  :)

Now...I've got another problem for you listers out there.  :P
My oil cooler is leaking oil from around the bottom of it.  It's not gushing
out, but it's noticeable, and I think that it is getting steadily worse.
What do I need to do?  Is there some seal under there that might need to be
replaced?  If so, how hard would that job be?  Any info, tips, or
experiences are much appreciated.  :)

I tackled one job today by taking the heater out (who said that was a hard
job...heheh...just kidding), and flushed the heater element and the cooling
system.  The water looked like it had mud in it, but it was really full of
rust (badly).  I went through all of that, and luckily it was a nice day out
today, so my hands weren't freezing off.  :)
Under the heater I found lots of interesting things.  I found a good pile of
dirt from dirt dobber nests, and a little stash of acorns from a previous
inhabitant (DPI).  Seeing that before I got the car it had been in storage
since `84, I wasn't suprised.  :)  I then painted the heater up with a nice
glossy black, put it back in, and hooked everything back up.  Now I need to
put the interior/screen cord back into place, and replace the fan switch.
While I was painting, I took the valve cover off and painted it a nice
glossy black, and it looked pretty nice (a few stickers here and there, and
it will be complete).  I painted some nuts and bolts silver to add the extra
highlight. Now, I'm going to have to figure how to fix up that flaking paint
in the engine compartment.

All in all I had a pretty good day, and I look forward to taclking the fuel
system's woes on Friday (hopefully).  :)

Also, if anyone has any tips on replacing the busings for the suspension,
please send them to me.  I'm thinking about doing that sometime this winter.
I will also need to replace the steering boots, and pretty much anything
else down there.  I have a limited budget, so I'm not going to be doing any
major upgrades (like adding shocks) though.

Well...I'll keep you all posted   :)

Thanks again,  :)

Blake Wylie
1970 MGB with DPI syndrome