Tach stopping

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tach stopping
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 00:29:38 -0500
Hi fellow listers:

Have any of you encountered this phenomenon?  My current "research" with
the Ugly Wedgling has turned up a different sort of problem  I've been
cursing the engine for it's inability to rev over 4500 rpm, however I've
just discovered that it's the tach.  It works beautifully up to 4500 at
which point it abruptly stops climbing.  Someone has suggested that the
face or needle are warped but they appear to be ok.  The instrument doesn't
stick and drops smoothly as the revs drop.  This is an electric tach and I
can't conceive a situation that would make this happen however I'm no
electronics whiz.

If anyone has an electronic reason, I'm all ears.  If there are any ideas
at all, please don't hesitate to make suggestions.  I don't really want to
try to remove it.  It looks like the tach was put on a sawhorse and the car
was built around it.

I still think the engine won't rev and quits pulling long before redline
regardless of whether the tach won't show it.

John