Re: Tach stopping

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Subject: Re: Tach stopping
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 00:31:59 -0700
>If anyone has an electronic reason, I'm all ears.  If there are any ideas
>at all, please don't hesitate to make suggestions.  I don't really want to
>try to remove it.  It looks like the tach was put on a sawhorse and the car
>was built around it.
>
>I still think the engine won't rev and quits pulling long before redline
>regardless of whether the tach won't show it.
>
>John

Check the loop.  make sure the block is fairly well centered in it.
Actually the tach is easy to remove.  the only gauge that is hard to remove
is the water temperature/oil pressure gauge.  You should be able to tell if
the engine is pulling over 4500 - just drive the darn thing hard.  Either
your speed will increase or it won't.  If you want the tach reading for a
given speed and gear, tell me the speed and gear, and I can get that for you
to check your tach against.  You may have to check your speedo with a
stopwatch first though, a lot of them are close, and you could even have the
wrong one for your particular transmission arrangement.

I suspect that if you truely have a "won't rev over 4500 rpm" problem (check
for increasing speed), then it is most likely your distributor, not your
tach.  The tach really has little - if anything - to do with how the engine
runs, it only measures the speed at which it runs.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C