Re: clutch master cylinder leaking

To: bwylie@hiwaay.net
Subject: Re: clutch master cylinder leaking
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 19:07:16 EST
You could bore it, but there is no such thing as an "oversize" seal set.

  You may be thinking about honing the cylinder, and this can be done.
BUT you can only take care of minor pitting this way.  And care should be
taken not to hone away too much metal of the bore attempting to clean up
pits. You'll end up with and oversize bore that way too.
  In my case, the pitting was too much for me to feel good about honing
to clear them up, so I bit the bullet and sprang for a new M/C.
  You could take the M/C to a good brake shop in your neighborhood and
have the technician look at the pitting to see if it can be honed.
(Hydraulic system are the same, be they brake or clutch).  If so, he
could hone if for you.
  If you want to tackle it yourself, a good primer on hydraulics is "The
Brake Handbook". I got a copy at my local library.  There is a good
section on rebuilding M/C's and wheel cylinders.
good luck
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget