Re: New Reader

To: Tracer245 <Tracer245@aol.com>
Subject: Re: New Reader
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 12:19:50 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Tracer245 wrote:

> Hi folks--Just recently found you guys and thought I would let you know about
> my project. I am restoring a 1977 MGB. It started out as a basic simple clean
> and repair a few problems but the more I repaired the more problems I found.
> The car is currently completely stripped to just the shell and waiting for a
> paint job. Then the fun will begin. I always enjoy putting together much more
> than taking apart. This is about the 5th British car I have restored but most
> of the others were done when I was younger. I am almost 50 now and now that I
> can afford to properly restore a car I have less inclination to crawl under
> one!!! I long for the days when I had a bunch of guys in my garage drinking
> beer till 3:00 AM trying to figure out how we could five finger discount a set
> of SU carbs or a starter motor. At any rate I am looking forward to getting to
> know some of you and discussing MG problems. There is a never ending number of
> them.
>
> At the present time I am in need of a fuel pump with the proper connectors --I
> believe they are called Banjo connectors. The previous owner installed an
> after market pump and removed the original connectors. Also need a good
> straight deck lid and passenger side door glass. Will also eventually need new
> windshield and wiring harness. Has anyone had any experience in repairing
> those tears that happen in the door skins just in front of the rearview
> mirrors?
>
> Well I guess that is enough questions to get me started with you guys. Oh
> yeah, my name is Dave and I live in Chattanooga TN.  Merry Christmas everyone.
> Hope Santa brings you all kinds of new MG toys!!!!!!!

As far as the tear goes, if you have a welder you might have some luck by
welding in a patch, Welding the crack has not worked for me. Without a
welder simply pop rivit a small patch of tin over the crack. They gently
tap the whole patch below the surface and put a light coat of bondo over
it. Done right it should last for years and cost about ten cents.
...Art