MGA superiority

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA superiority
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 11:14:27 -0600
Last week I received more ammunition for my continuing "MGA's are God's
gift to the sports car world" campaign.

On this list we have had a wonderful debate over the advantages of the
three bearing engine.  If my memory serves me correctly, loss of free
revving was one of the early gripes against the five bearing engines.
Granted the later engines are tougher and the bottom ends may last a little
longer but three bearings seem to be enough for most conditions ;-)

In this week's Autoweek, there is an article about the collectable car
prices.  The MGA got more ink than Ferrari and Porsche combined!  The
reason for the MGA being hot- good looks of course!

I glanced at the new MG Buyer's guide at Barnes and Noble this weekend.
The MGA 1600's have now been given a four star ranking.  This is quite good
for a regular series production car especially one built in high quantities
like the 1600's.  So apparently the rest of the world is coming to its
senses!

This is all good news for the MGA but it is worrisome also.  I would hate
to think that such a nice little car would become the latest victim of over
pricing and trailer queen restorations.  It has already happened to Jaguars
and has mostly happened to the big Healeys.  MG's are meant to be driven
not put on a pedestal.  Besides, who wants all of those speculating yuppie
types giving MG's a bad name for snobbism.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA that will be moved from the garage to the living room if this keeps
up (yeah, right)