MGA superiority, long strokes, RBB stuff, Fergussons, Venolia

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: MGA superiority, long strokes, RBB stuff, Fergussons, Venolia
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 21:23:24 -0600
<<<<Others wrote:
It is the Bill Eastman Club of Self Congratulatory MGA Owners (BECSCMGAO).

I appreciate the pontification but I don't know if I deserve it.  I am
simply following the Call.  Although I haven't seen a post yet, I am sure
Bob Allen is foaming at the mouth and drooling on his keyboard over all of
this ;-)  And no, you don't have to feel bad about calling me Easton.  It
is an honest mistake and besides, I have been called much worse.

<<<Jay (I think it is sometimes hard to follow the author on the digest)
wrote:
Of course, all of the above statements are fact and no opinion; we all know
the MGA is the most beautiful car British Leyland (sic) made.>>>

Looks like we have another member in the making!

Does the 3 bearing crank really make an A rev faster?  I expect it helps
but a lot of other things work against us.  The A has a very heavy- almost
Tri**ph or tractor sized- flywheel.  It also has four rings per piston.
These cause the engine to be somewhat lazy although an A is a good car in
which to learn to drive a clutch.  Or it would be if first gear was
synchronized ;-)

About long strokes limiting power, this in not always the case.  Acura
Integra's are long stroke motors in fact the bore and stroke is very
similar to the MGB.  The type R puts out 195 hp on 1.8 liters and an 8200
rpm redline.  Smaller bores mean smaller valves and poorer cylinder filling
and this is what limits rpm as much as inertia from the long stroke
although an MGA connecting rod is one substantial chunk of iron.

Two areas where the RBB suffers that have not been mentioned is weight and
moment of inertia.  Those bumpers are heavy and placed at the far ends of
the car.  The weight slows the car down and the inertia causes slower turn
in.  The CBB handles better and is faster while the RBB is safer and
cheaper.  Take your pick.

The Standard engine was used in a variety of vehicles including 4 cylinder
TR's and the Fergusson tractor.  We had a couple of Fergies on our farm and
they are good tractors although I hope that TR's don't actually use the
same block since the block makes the frame of the tractor and it is heavy
beyond all belief.

Should the A need a rebuild in the near future, I am considering the use of
Venolia pistons.  Venolia will make forged aluminum pistons for anything at
around $300.00 for a set of four, I believe.  Has anyone use their pistons.
 Losing on ring and a few ounces per piston couldn't hurt.

Happy new year!
Bill Eastman
61 MGA and member in good standing, BECSCMGAO