Re:Piper Cam was: Chrome vs. Rubber

To: ken.roach@sk.sympatico.ca (Ken Roach), mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Piper Cam was: Chrome vs. Rubber
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 21:43:53 -0600
At 09:25 PM 1/1/98 GMT, Ken Roach wrote:
>Chris,
>I would be interested hearing your experiences with this cam.  I have
>been thinking of using the Piper 270 in my rebuild, but I am
>considered about tractability.  Will this cam idle at 1000rpm or
>below?  Did you have any problems with clearance to the valve cut-outs
>in the block?  Some mag. articles have suggested that you have to
>grind these cut outs to provide clearance with a higher lift cam while
>others seem to ignore this point.  I would appreciate opinions from
>other listers who are using this cam as well.
>
>Thanx,
>Ken Roach

I installed this 270 cam on my '70 B this past month during the rebuild.
I have had absolutely no problems with low rpm running.  I think I did lose
some
low-end power, but I think I gained power in the mid and upper rpm range.
I don't know of any problems with valve clearances, and I don't think this
cam
is really a high-lift cam.  It is only slightly hotter than the cams found
on earlier
model MGB engines.

The car does seem to breath better at higher RPMs and it doesn't hit the
brick wall
like it used to.  I still curse, to this day, the horrible breathing of
this engine.
I like to hear an engine rev, especially one that's as small as this one,
but it really
doesn't sound all too good.

After installing a new dizzy, I got much improved running at higher RPMs.

If you just want some more juice out of your B without losing the bottom
end torque, I'd
grab this cam.  If you want quite a bit more power, I'd opt for a hotter
cam, but this is
merely one man's opinion.

Power seems to be on my mind lately as I've been checking out some Plymouth
Barricudas lately.
Something about a 350 HP engine and a soft top appeals to me.

Jay