Re: 71 MGB Water Pump

To: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 71 MGB Water Pump
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 09:25:43 -0500
Bob MGT wrote:

> Well, I've got a new coolant leak. I've had coolant leak out of the radiator,
> two freeze plugs, and a crack in the head. Now it's the water pump's turn. How
> tough is it to change the pump? Is there much disassembly involved? I hope
> it's as easy as the TD. I think water pumps are one of those items that tend
> to go bad in long term storage, also gas tanks, electrical contacts and
> batteries.
>
> Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
> EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
> 52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
> 71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336

Bob,

Presume you are referring to the '71.  You'll find that the workshop
manual says to remove the radiator, but you can replace the water pump
without going through that exercise.  It's a bit of a pain to remove the
fan blades, but once you do that and remove the pulley, the water pump
is relatively easy to take off and replace.  My experience is with the
'69 model which should have the same configuration as yours.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/