Re: Gas Guage/ Alt. problem

To: dcdccccckc@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Gas Guage/ Alt. problem
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 20:48:55 EST
Hi Dean,
  The Moss catalogue has a short section on gauge diagnosis and repair.
  They suggest that the sending unit be checked by removing the
green/black wire from the unit. Conect  one end of a test light to the
terminal on this wire, the other to ground. Switch on the ignition. Gauge
should begin a slow climb to full and test lamp should glow. If gauge
does register, the sending unit must be bad. If gauge still does not
work, it is either disconnected (check continuity of its wiring) or
defective.
  Check for faulty voltage stabilizer. Stabilizer output should be 10v
average. If there is no output, or the output is steady at battery
voltage, stabilizer is bad.
  As to alternator--I had one rebuilt,  then experienced the same
problem. This was a number of years ago.....I think that the fix was to
move one or two of the three wires on the plug to the
alternator.......might check on this with the wiring diagram and
multimeter. Wish I could remember specifics on this fix.
Bob