Kits based on MGBs (and Ferris' Ferrari 250 California)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Kits based on MGBs (and Ferris' Ferrari 250 California)
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 01:37:09 +0000
I just read a message talking about the Ferrari kit used in "Ferris
Bueller's Day Off", someone on the list asserted that it was based on
the MGB.  As much as I would LOVE for this to be true, it isn't.  The
kit is made by Precision Design and Engineering
(http://www.calspyder.com), and is based on a custom-built tubular
backbone/spaceframe.  In the Kit Car Magazine catalog (September
1997) it lists no MGB components in the write-up on the 250
California (Although I have to agree about the taillights being an
almost dead-on match.)  In the movie, the kit did use Smith's gauges,
but Precision D&E custom builds each car, and the owner probably
specified Smith's gauges for his own reasons.
        The catalog only lists two or three MGB-based kits, and none of them
are particularly inspiring.
Scott