Re: The Ultimate Worst GM Engine Ever (no lbc)

To: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Subject: Re: The Ultimate Worst GM Engine Ever (no lbc)
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:09:55 -0500
Hi Bert:

The engine you are referring to was a Chev engine which was actually called
"Copper cooled" it was an attempt, in 1923, to create a four cylinder,
air-cooled engine using copper fins for cooling.  The idea was developed by
Charles "Boss" Kettering, using the existing Chev engine,  and as you have
said was a dismal failure.  However, it really cannot be termed the
worst-ever engine because so few were built.  Only 800 cars were
manufactured and of these 200 were so bad as to be undeliverable.  The
remaining 600 were subsequently replaced by Chevrolet.  Compared to today's
recalls of hundreds of thousands of cars on frequent occasions, 600 bad
engines is not too significant.

Very few of the "copper cooled" Chevys exist today.  There is apparently
one in the Henry Ford museum which Henry acquired at the time.  He was busy
trying to manufacture his own version of an air-cooled engine and was
probably quite grateful to Chevrolet for showing him what not to do.

BTW, what Mercedes problems of today are you referring to?  I don't follow
modern cars much but am always curious.  Have they been having big
problems?

Happy New Year

John