Re: V8 Conversions (way too long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: V8 Conversions (way too long)
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 02:13:44
Larry,

>HISTORY
>public wanted.  Rover bought the rights (license) to manufacture the
>engine in 1965.  The first Rover 3.5L V8 engine car was the Rover P5
>saloon in 1967.

You forgot the bit about the engineer Rover bought too.  Seems the
engineer who had a hand in getting the engine from the drawing board
to reality (and his mind was the only place where some of the mods
were) was about to retire, so he "retired" to England and helped
Rover get the thing into produciton.  An option *this* engineer
can only dream of.

This could be modern myth, but hey, it sounds cool.

>fuel injection was added.  The recent Rover 4.0L and 4.6L engines I
>believe are completely different engines; I don't think they share
>anything in common with the earlier engines.

I think they have some common bits, but are essentially re-designed.
On of the guys on our Team works for a Rover place and he's got
two of the new 4.0s, really different from my 3.9.  He keeps
threatening to stuff one into an Anglia he's got.

>The engine in it's various configurations has been used in many vehicles;
>automobiles, airplanes, and boats.

I know you said "automobiles" but...

...and a formula 1 car and can-am cars.  The first BOP/Rover V-8
I saw in the flesh was from a Can-Am car.  I almost bought it
(actually two of 'em and lots of parts) for $1000, but it was
sold before I could return.  I think I ended up better off tho,
because my 3.9 is a better engine.  I do however still wake up
at night in a cold sweat dreaming about that dry sump alloy block,
with that high rise manifold and those 8 10" trumpets...

>So how hard is it, and what does it cost?  Depends, and depends.

Very, very true.

>Cost is up to you.  I have heard of conversions that cost $2000 and those
>that cost $20,000.  You choose.  If you can find a built V8 that is for
>sale, buy it and change what you don't like.

I figure I'll have about $3000 to $4000 in mine.  I bought my engine
for $950 (with almost all of the hotwire injection parts).  A lot of
things have been scrounged. (I spend a *lot* of time in junkyards)
Also, some things that people consider part of a 'B V-8 swap have
already been done to my car:  suspension upgrades.

I'm going to use the stock 'B rear axle for now, and my gearbox
is of the TR-8 variety.  I'm hoping to be finished sometime this
spring.  If anyone else is interested, I'm planning on doing a
MGB V-8 (with Rover engines) section on the Team Sanctuary web
page.  Right now all I've got is a few links.  I'd welcome
links, pix, ideas, etc.

My advice to any 'B V-8 wannaB's:  read the books, talk to these
folks like Larry on the 'net, and never buy your parts from the
first place you talk to.  Case in point, the ECU for my fuel
injection system.  I got quotes from $1200 to $350.  A 'B V-8
conversion is a "luxury", some people will try to milk ya.

Safety Fast,

-Keith Wheeler

Team Sanctuary                  http://www.teamsanctuary.com/